Sunday, July 13, 2008

Juno

So, have you seen Juno? Funny movie...subject matter that hits close to home. If you haven't seen it I recommend you do. I spend a lot of time on other adoption blogs and message boards and people definitely have varying views on this movie. Ryan and I watched it soon after we decided to adopt (during one of our cram sessions to get in all the Oscar nominated movies I believe). We both enjoyed the quirky humor and Ellen Page is a fantastic new actress.

The adoption story at times is accurate. I like the the initial portrayal of Vanessa and Mark as potential adoptive parents. I don't know how realistic it is to find adoptive parents in the Penny Saver (do they even make those anymore?) and the couple definitely takes a turn that I'm sure is quite unrealistic (I won't disclose in the interest of not spoiling the movie). I also appreciated the exploration into Juno's character. Although I doubt all birthmother's are as aloof as Juno, I feel the character does give some insight to that side of the adoption journey.

But, really its just a good movie. I think its great the subject matter of adoption is "out there" because I think that makes people more aware of the many ways families are built.

Moving to our update... nothing new to report. We remain patient and hopeful that our baby will come to us soon. In the meantime we are enjoying the hot summer. We've spent a couple weekends in the mountains at my parents house and look forward to more weekends enjoying the beautiful views and outdoor pursuits that abound in that area. This weekend we'll be entertaining the Arthur's and we're very excited. We haven't seen them since this time last year. Its so much fun to see how the kids grow! Since I babysat them when they were tiny I feel a special connection to them. They will be in town for a swimming event (Will is a big time swimmer) so it should be fun.

Please check out the question of the week (okay I know its not a weekly question, but I can't come up with a better name at the moment!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to view previous "Question of the week" poll outcomes? I didn't vote last week because I wanted to select more than one!! However, I was interested to see what others said.

You know my views on the Baby Wise...it's AWESOME! I also think that the parenting magazines are great for getting little tidbits of info. But my #1 recommendation for a baby book is "Your Baby's First Year - Week by Week. It was a wonderful reference for me and Mark.

Now for this week's question. I used Avent, but I don't necessarily think they are "the best". I had several people recommend Dr. Browns, but they can be difficult to clean, but are supposed to be good for colicly babies. The trend it probably to go towards the PBA free bottles, but I'm not sold. The issue with other bottles is getting them warmer then 100% F which releases the chemicals...if you are using a baby bottle warmer (and not the microwave), you shouldn't have anything to worry about. But if everything else was equal...why not go for the PBA free ones.

Anonymous said...

I missed the poll before it closed. Definitely Avent. They have a great system for transitioning from bottle to sippy cup, too.